Cannabis in Phuket, Thailand: What is CBD and THC?
Cannabis has become an increasingly hot topic around the world as attitudes towards its use are rapidly changing. Here in Thailand, interest in the cannabis plant and its potential uses has grown among locals and tourists. The two main active compounds in cannabis are cannabidiol (CBD) and tetrahydrocannabinol (THC). While they come from the same plant, they have very different effects and uses.
- Thailand’s move towards decriminalizing cannabis in June 2022 aimed to energize local agriculture and boost tourism.
- Two compounds, CBD and THC, are at the heart of the cannabis industry. Both are present in marijuana and hemp in different concentrations.
- THC is known for the psychoactive “high,” while CBD does not cause a “high” and has potential health benefits.
THC, or tetrahydrocannabinol, is the compound in cannabis responsible for its classic “high” effects. THC binds to receptors in the brain and central nervous system, resulting in the psychoactive effects recreational cannabis users seek.
In addition to causing intoxication, THC offers some potential medical uses:
- Pain relief
- Reducing nausea and vomiting
- Stimulating appetite
- Helping with insomnia
CBD, short for cannabidiol, is one of over 100 cannabinoids found in the cannabis sativa plant. Unlike THC, the main psychoactive compound in cannabis, CBD is non-intoxicating. This means it does not produce a “high” or intoxicating effect.
Research has shown CBD offers a wide range of potential therapeutic benefits, including:
- Reducing anxiety and depression
- Alleviating chronic pain and inflammation
- Reducing seizures in epilepsy
- Neuroprotective effects for neurological disorders
- Improving sleep and more
In recent years, CBD has became widely available in Phuket and Thailand in general. You can find CBD oils, edibles, creams, and more in many shops around the island. Brands like Pura Vida and Highland Pharms offer high quality CBD products made from organic European hemp. Note: these brands are not from Thailand but are well known on the market.
Key Differences Between CBD and THC
Now that we’ve covered the basics of what CBD and THC are individually, let’s look at the key differences between these two cannabinoids:
The most obvious difference is that THC causes a high and CBD does not. THC binds directly to CB1 receptors in the brain which control pleasure, memory, thinking, concentration and coordination. This creates the classic effects of being “stoned”—altered senses of space and time, euphoria, relaxation, hunger, etc.
CBD does not bind directly to CB1 receptors and has little to no psychoactivity. Users can take high doses of CBD without impairments to motor skills or cognition.
2. Medical Uses
Comparatively, THC and CBD share some similar medical properties, but CBD offers some unique advantages:
- CBD does not carry risk of addiction or dependency in the same way THC does
- CBD does not impair cognition or motor skills, allowing it to be used throughout the day
- CBD has shown strong results for treating childhood epilepsy syndromes
- CBD may help reduce some of the unwanted side effects of THC like anxiety or paranoia
However, THC may offer superior relief of symptoms like pain, nausea and insomnia in some patients. Much more research is still needed into the medical uses of both compounds. With recent legalization we will see more research done in Thailand.
Other Blogs You Might Like:
Using CBD and THC in Phuket
The availability of CBD and THC oils, edibles, topicals and other products has exploded in Phuket and across Thailand.
These products can easily be found in dedicated cannabis shops as well as general convenience stores and markets throughout the island. Prices range from cheap to premium.
When buying CBD and THC in Phuket, we recommend:
- Stick to reputable brands. With lax regulation, some CBD and THC products may be low quality or inaccurately labeled. Trust established companies like Highland Pharms, Pura Vida, etc.
- Be mindful with THC products. THC products can have psychoactive effects. It’s important to start with low dosages and understand your personal tolerance. As for CBD, oils, tinctures and edibles are often safer options.
- Start low, go slow. If new to CBD and THC, start with a low dose of 5-15mg and increase slowly from there until desired effects are achieved. Everybody responds differently. There is no rush, take your time.
- Talk to locals. With cannabis culture thriving in Phuket, chatting with locals at shops and bars can provide insider knowledge on quality products and best prices. At Phuket Weed Express we are opened to all kind of questions. Feel free to reach out to us; even if you don’t plan on buying.
While they originate from the same plant, CBD and THC have very distinct benefits and effects on the human body. Understanding the key differences between these two major cannabis compounds allows people to make informed decisions about which options may be best for their needs.
Here in Phuket, access to CBD is rapidly expanding and offers exciting new options for locals and travelers to potentially enjoy some of its advantages. THC has became popular with recent law changes and you can purchase some at Phuket Weed Express. We provide weed at a best price and delivered to your door. Check out our cannabis flowers.